Foster Kinship.

Non-Needy Relative Caretaker (NNRC) TANF in Nevada

Non-Needy Relative Caretaker (NNRC) TANF in Nevada

Non-Needy Relative Caretaker (NNRC) TANF in Nevada

PLEASE NOTE: Most of this information is taken from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services websites (links provided). Foster Kinship is not a representative of DWSS and encourages all relative caregivers to speak to a caseworker at the closest welfare office for specific answers to their particular situation. This information is provided as a starting point only.


Most children living apart from their parents- including those living with family members- are eligible for cash assistance through TANF, even if the family member they are living with is not eligible.

As a non-parent relative, you may apply for assistance for your child only OR for your child and yourself. Before beginning to apply for any of the TANF programs, it is wise to obtain a copy of the application and the requirements to qualify.

There is great confusion out there about how grandparents and other relatives apply for aid for the children in their care and how that aid is determined. If your relative is eligible for assistance, don’t let misinformation deprive him/her of it.

In Nevada, if your relative’s children are living with you and the biological parents are not, and you are providing full time care for the children, you should consider applying for Non-Needy Relative Caretaker (NNRC)TANF.

Nevada TANF Benefits are managed by the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services: Division of Welfare and Supportive Services:

Full-time relative caregivers do not need legal custody or guardianship to apply for assistance on the child’s behalf.

IMPORTANT: WRITE NNRC/CHILD ONLY on the TOP OF YOUR APPLICATION!! This will hopefully help avoid any mistakes where your application is rejected because it is unclear you are not asking for assistance for yourself.

Non-Needy relatives can receive a small cash stipend each month to provide for the care of the children. Your household income cannot exceed 275% of the poverty guideline (versus 130% of poverty for regular TANF programs). So even if you have applied for assistance for yourself in the past and been rejected you may be eligible for NNRC TANF now.

Once your household has qualified for NNRC TANF, only the CHILD’S INCOME IS COUNTED TO DETERMINE BENEFITS. For example, some children may have income if they receive SSI.

 Description of Program (

A Non-Needy Relative Caregiver (NNRC) is a relative, other than a legal parent, not requesting assistance for themselves and only requesting assistance for a relative child(ren).  The NNRC must be a relative of specified degree and the child must be living in the home of a specified relative.

The child(ren) must be living with the individual applying for assistance on their behalf that provides care and supervision and is the child’s (not all inclusive):

  • Father, mother, sister, brother, grandfather, grandmother;
  • Uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, first cousin; OR
  • Stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother

NNRC TANF is a Child only program (TANF-CHILD) – These are households with no “work eligible” adults, is considered assistance; and time limits do not apply.  This program is designed for households not having a work eligible individual.  No adults receive assistance because the caregiver is a non-needy relative caregiver.

Income Test and Payment Amounts (,

The gross income test is 275% of the Federal Poverty Level.  This test will be applied to all NNRC households at initial eligibility, when a change of countable income is reported, at the Review of Eligibility if new or increased countable income is reported or a new household member who is related to the child(ren) and has countable income is reported.

The countable gross earned and unearned income will be determined according to current TANF policy of all adults and children in the household with a relationship (by blood or marriage) to the child(ren) for whom assistance has been requested.

● Earned income disregards and work expense are not applied and TANF assistance is exempt

All adult household members whose income is countable in the gross income test, who did not sign the application form, are required to sign an Interface Consent, Form 2179-EE, allowing DWSS to interface with other federal and state records for eligibility and income verification.

If the total countable gross income is below the 275% income test, only the child(ren)’s, income and resources are used to determine the TANF Kinship Care eligibility and payment.  If the child has no income, you should receive the maximum payment per child.
The following table provides a guide to income levels and maximum payment amounts. A maximum payment is issued when there is no countable income.

TANF Need Standard and Payment Allowance

130% of
100% Need
NNRC 275%
Poverty Level
Non-Parent NNRC
Payment Allowance
1 $1,210 $698 $253 $2,560 $417
2 $1,639 $946 $318 $3,468 $476
3 $2,068 $1,193 $383 $4,375 $535
4 $2,497 $1,441 $448 $5,283 $594
5 $2,926 $1,688 $513 $6,190 $654
6 $3,355 $1,936 $578 $7,098 $713
7 $3,784 $2,183 $643 $8,005 $772
8 $4,213 $2,413 $708 $8,913 $831

For Each Additional Household Member Add:

  $429 $248 $65 $908 $59


Health Insurance for Children (

Household’s who apply for TANF and are also interested in medical assistance, must also apply for TANF-Related Medicaid (TRM).

Medical coverage through other Medicaid programs such as Children’s Health Assurance Program (CHAP) is available to minor children and pregnant women.

The state also offers the Nevada Check Up Program to children who do not qualify for CHAP.

Application Process (

Apply online or at the office closest to you- if you do not go to the right district office staff will inform you of the correct office location- so call first to confirm. If you ask, staff will accept your application and forward it to the correct office.

IMPORTANT: WRITE NNRC/CHILD ONLY on the TOP OF YOUR APPLICATION!! This will hopefully help avoid any mistakes where your application is rejected because it is unclear you are not asking for assistance for yourself.


Belrose District Office
700 Belrose Street
Las Vegas, NV 89107
(702) 486-1646 – (702) 486-1628 (fax)

Flamingo District Office
3330 Flamingo Road, Suite 55
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 486-9400 (main) – (702) 486-9401 (fax)
(702) 486-9540 (fax)

Henderson District Office
520 Boulder Highway
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 486-5000 – (702) 486-1270 (fax)

Nellis District Office
611 N Nellis Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89110
(702) 486-4828 – (702) 486-4737 (fax)

Owens District Office
1040 W Owens Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(702) 486-1899 – (702) 486-1802 (fax)

Pahrump District Office
1840 Pahrump Valley Road
Pahrump, NV 89048
(775) 751-7400 – (775) 751-7404 (fax)


Documents Needed for Application (

You need proof of the information provided, so it’s very helpful to bring as many of the following items as you can:

  1. Proof of residency (lease agreement, rent receipt, mortgage, utility bills).
  2. A Nevada driver’s license or other identification (ID).
  3. A social security card or proof you have applied for one.
  4. Proof of birth for all persons applying for assistance.
  5. Proof of citizenship for all household members.
  6. Marriage and/or divorce decree.
  7. Proof of school attendance for school age children.
  8. Proof of income received, such as pay stubs or a statement from your employer, Social Security Administration, child support payments, loans, etc.
  9. Latest bank statements and proof of other assets such as vehicles, property.
  10. Verification of household composition (who lives in the home and their relationship to the child(ren)).
  11. Verification of subsidized housing assistance.

Child Support Enforcement (

All cases for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and medical programs where the adult and child(ren) receive Medicaid must be referred for Child Support Enforcement. : The responsible relative caregiver who is applying for or receiving TANF NEON or Child Only cash assistance must cooperate with the  Child Support Enforcement Program (CSEP) requirements by:

  1. Surrendering and endorsing all support and/or medical support payments to the state after TANF NEON or Child Only cash benefits are approved.
  2. Providing information on the non-custodial parent (NCP);
  3. Participating in efforts to locate the NCP (absent parent);
  4. Establishing paternity when necessary;
  5. Establishing a child support order;

Failure to cooperate without good cause, will result in the denial or termination of TANF NEON, Child ONLY and/or TANF-Related Medicaid (TRM) for all household members. Medicaid from another program will be considered for the child(ren). If the responsible adult is a pregnant woman, she will continue to receive pregnancy related Medicaid coverage during her pregnancy.

The relative caregiver has the right to claim “good cause”, and request a determination of its validity, for not cooperating with CSEP.


If you have general questions for Foster Kinship please call 702-546-9988 during our helpline hours 2-5 PM  PST on Tuesdays, or email

For questions regarding qualification, your specific family circumstances, or application specific questions please contact your welfare office.